Athens is a hotbed of impoverished workers who work full-time jobs and live below or near the poverty level. EJC’s “Worker Friendly” Initiative wants to change that. We would like to advocate and promote EVERY business and institution that pays a living wage. When employers invest in their employees they make the community better. Let’s make the change by building better communities with living wages.
Worker Friendly Employers provide wages and benefits that enable all workers to afford basic needs. We support and honor WFE businesses and organizations.
Why are Worker Friendly Employers critical for reducing poverty in Athens-Clarke County?
Living wages and benefits have been shown to:
-Decrease expenses of worker turnover and training
-Increase worker loyalty and workplace morale
-Strengthen family cohesion and overall health of the community
What employers in Athens-Clarke County are Worker Friendly?
• Athens-Clark County Government – 706-613-3090
• Family Connection-Communities in Schools – 706-369-9732
• Five Points Eye Care – 706-543-2020
• Hill & Associates, PC – 706-353-7272
• MedLink Georgia 770-867-6633
• mPrint Design Studio – 706-549-7173
• Power Partners – 800-545-3121
• Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Athens – 706-546-7914
• Jeannette Rankin Women’s Foundation – 706-208-1211
How can I be recognized as a Worker Friendly Employer?
Employers or organization leaders can apply by clicking the ‘apply online’ button above. The formula for being a WFE considers both wages and benefits. WFE’s get credit for paying wages above the minimum wage for all employees over 18, as well as access to affordable health insurance, vacation and sick leave, and a retirement plan. EJC will work with you to find ways to increase wages and/or benefits!
How will my business or organization by recognized?
• a window sticker for display at your business
• free advertising on our website
• promotion as a WF in local media
• recognition on social networking sites such as Facebook, YELP, and Trip Advisor
Worker Friendly Employers provide wages and benefits that enable all workers to afford basic needs. We support and honor WFE businesses and organizationsIf you want to apply to be considered a “Worker Friendly” employer: